Huevos Rancheros with Avocado
Huevos Rancheros translates as “Rancher’s eggs”. It is a rural Mexican farm’s mid morning breakfast of fried eggs and salsa, traditionally served on corn or flour tortilla. Making huevos rancheros at home is super simple and speedy. First you make the tomato salsa, then pop the eggs in the sauce. The fresh salsa works a treat with the beautifully, runny-yolked eggs. Smashed avos, coriander and fresh lime completes this colourful and very satisfying dish. It is a great meal to serve at anytime of the day!
- 4 slices streaky bacon, cut into pieces (we love Hellers)
- Avocado cooking oil (we love Olivado)
- 1 onion – finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves – minced
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp paprika, smoked
- 2 small or 1 large red capsicum, diced
- 800g fresh tomatoes, diced
- a handful of baby spinach leaves
- sea salt and black pepper
- 4 eggs (we love Frienz)
- a handful coriander, fresh leaves
- 1 avocado – smashed (we love New Zealand Avocado)
- 2 Spring onions – thinly sliced
To serve: Tortilla wraps (we love Gianni’s)
Note: We used a Le Creuset cast iron signature skillet to cook this dish.
1. In a non stick fry pan fry off the bacon until crispy and golden over a medium hot heat. Set aside.
2. In a heavy based shallow fry pan, fry the onion in a drizzle of avocado cooking oil over a medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened.
3. Add the garlic, capsicum and all the spices to the pan and cook for another 2 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes and ½ cup water, season with salt and pepper, then stir everything together and leave to simmer for 10 minutes until reduced to a thick, rich sauce.
5. Stir through the spinach and bacon and cook for a few minutes.
6. Make four wells in the tomato sauce mixture with a spoon and crack an egg into each. Place the lid on for about 4 minutes until whites are set but yolks are still runny.
7. Scatter over the coriander, spring onions, and heaped spoonfuls of smashed avo on top.
8. Serve with tortillas and devour!
See more great recipes from New Zealand avocado :