How to store your NZ avocado
We know there is a lot of concern about waste with avocados – like what happens when we buy avocados and after cutting into them they are unripe? Here’s some quick tips on how to keep avocados after being cut.
1. Store Fresh Cut Unripe Avocados
- Sprinkle the exposed flesh of the avocado with lemon or lime juice
- place the two halves back together and cover tightly with clear plastic wrap before placing in the refrigerator.
- Check the avocado on occasion to see if it has softened up enough to eat. Always remember every avocado is different and may vary for time to ripen.
2. Store Fresh Cut Ripe Avocados
- Store the cut avocado with chopped onions in an airtight box
- Deep freeze the cut avocado at 5 ºC
- Dab the cut avocado with lime or lemon juice
- Plastic-Wrap the cut avocado or store in an airtight box
3. Store Ripe Uncut Avocados
- Ripe fruit that has not been cut open can be stored in the refrigerator for 2 – 3 days.
4. Store Unripe Uncut Avocados
- Unripe, firm or green fruit can take 4 – 5 days to ripen at room temperature.
- If you want to slow down the ripening process, store in the refrigerator.